Wednesdays, 1/17/24- 6/5/24
*No class Mar 27, Apr 10
Sculpture Exploratorium invites kids to be artist-scientists, discovering the properties of materials and inventing ways to build with them. We will bring mindfulness as well as a sense of scientific research to a variety of mediums (fabric, wire, paint, paper, plastic, food items, found objects, our own bodies…), and discover from there what kinds of sculptures we can build! After inventing our own individual techniques and sculptures, we will explore working together to build larger forms and even environments to enjoy together.
“Salamander Arts provided a warm, supportive, creative environment for kids of all ages, and our 5 yr old loved it. She made friends, had a great time, and was proud of her artistic endeavors. We’d send her back in a heartbeat.” — Parent of Nina (age 6)
Meet your Teachers!
Lee has been teaching arts and somatic practices to people of all ages for nearly 20 years. She holds an MA in Dance and Somatic Wellbeing, a BA in Visual Arts and Dance, and is a Reiki Practitioner and Certified Franklin Method Educator. Her work with children has taken her into hospitals, schools, community centers and more, using healing and creative arts to promote wellbeing, conflict resolution, and academic learning. She is so thrilled to be offering her home now as a nurturing and creative space for kids.
Kenni Field is a ceramic artist, an avid explorer, and childhood educator. They care deeply about community well-being, and utilizing creative expression as a tool for collective healing. They are a former cofounder of the 2.0 Art Collective, and have facilitated meditative art making workshops for BIPOC femme and GNC folks throughout Philadelphia. They are committed to principles of anti-racism, anti-authoritarianism, anti-ableism and trauma-informed care within their community work.
- Small Group Classes (max 5:1 to student ratio) with individualized attention to students’ needs and interests
- Highly skilled instructors with backgrounds in Somatics, the Arts and Education, trained in our Salamander Arts Pedagogy highlighting Embodiment/Mindfulness, Creativity & Community
- A cozy environment for kids to rest, connect, and create
- Fun activities that support emotional, physical, mental, and social wellbeing & development
- Collaborative projects that foster community across age and background
- Leadership opportunities for kids of all ages and abilities
- Support for developmental and behavioral goals
- Weekly Emails with Photos & Updates
- Step-by-step instructions for Arts Based & Embodied Mindfulness Activities you can do at home
- A final show and gathering to celebrate your young artists
- School Pickup from Lea & Penn Alexander
- Healthy Snacks
- Homework Assistance during snack & sketchbook time