with Molly Thayer, Fiber Artist, Educator
& Lee Fogel, Somatic Movement Educator/Therapist, Arts Educator
*flexibly intended for children ages 5–12
Wednesdays, 1/17/24- 6/5/24
*No class Mar 27, Apr 10
Fiber Friends is a cozy team of artists creating tapestries, stuffies, wearable art and more out of all kinds of fabric materials! We’ll make looms out of household objects, trees and each other’s bodies; practice hand and machine sewing; turn discarded materials into baskets, books, and abstract sculptures. We’ll express our ideas as well as integrate “mistakes” as artistic delights. We’ll practice mindfulness as we work, and create pleasing environments and objects from our art making. Join us for this imaginative and soothing tactile adventure!
Meet your Teachers!
Molly Thayer Hi! I’m Molly (he/any), a recycled fiber artist and teacher to kids and adults. I learned to make recycled looms and create yarn from plastic bags, leading me to discover an art pathway that is accessible, sustainable, and expansive! I teach fashion design and recycled textile crafts by engaging with commonly discarded materials like plastics, produce netting, and scrap fabric through experimentation and embodied wonder. By engaging sensory curiosity and intuition, I celebrate risk and failure and trust each learner’s own approach. I believe recycled fiber arts creates an opportunity to engage with our histories, environments, selves, and each other at the pace of breath and joy, contributing to community health and resilience in the climate apocalypse.
Lee has been teaching arts and somatic practices to people of all ages for nearly 20 years. She holds an MA in Dance and Somatic Wellbeing, a BA in Visual Arts and Dance, and is a Reiki Practitioner and Certified Franklin Method Educator. Her work with children has taken her into hospitals, schools, community centers and more, using healing and creative arts to promote wellbeing, conflict resolution, and academic learning. She is so thrilled to be offering her home now as a nurturing and creative space for kids.
- Small Group Classes with individualized attention to students’ needs and interests
- Highly skilled instructors with backgrounds in Somatics, the Arts and Education, trained in our Salamander Arts Pedagogy highlighting Embodiment/Mindfulness, Creativity & Community
- A cozy environment for kids to rest, connect, and create
- Fun activities that support emotional, physical, mental, and social wellbeing & development
- Collaborative projects that foster community across age and background
- Leadership opportunities for kids of all ages and abilities
- Support for developmental and behavioral goals
- Weekly Emails with Photos & Updates
- Step-by-step instructions for Arts Based & Embodied Mindfulness Activities you can do at home
- A final show and gathering to celebrate your young artists
- School Pickup from Lea & Penn Alexander
- Healthy Snacks
- Homework Assistance during snack & sketchbook time