with Kenni Field, Ceramic Artist & Educator
& Lee Fogel, Somatic Movement & Arts Educator
Thursdays, Jan 12 — May 18
*No class Apr 6
“The instructors really support independence and creativity while also providing guidance for more complicated projects. They weren’t afraid to sew, hot glue, tie strings, or get messy. It was the highlight of my kids’ week. The instructors are really gifted at being kind, supportive, and maintaining a safe environment.” — Mom of Ezra and Amaris, ages 7 & 10
In Creating (with) Clay we will explore the nature of clay, its historical applications and wondrous possibilities. We’ll encounter, observe and experiment with various kinds of clay and claylike materials from traditional ceramic and air dry clays to paper and edible slime! We’ll channel our material knowledge into the creation of magical creatures and cultural figures imbued with emotional and narrative power. Working from a place of sensory enjoyment and wonder, we’ll build pots, sculptures, landscapes, creatures and more!
Meet your Teachers!
Lee has been teaching arts and somatic practices to people of all ages for nearly 20 years. She holds an MA in Dance and Somatic Wellbeing, a BA in Visual Arts and Dance, and is currently working towards her Franklin Method Teacher certification. Her work with children has taken her into hospitals, schools, community centers and more, using healing and creative arts to promote wellbeing, conflict resolution, and academic learning. She is so thrilled to be offering her home now as a nurturing and creative space for kids.
Kenni is a ceramicist, an avid explorer, and childcare worker. They care deeply about community well-being, and utilizing creative expression as a tool for collective healing. They are a former cofounder of the 2.0 Art Collective, and have fa or BIPOC femme and GNC folks throughout Philadelphia. They are committed to principles of anti-racism, anti-authoritarianism, anti-ableism and trauma-informed care within their community work.
- Small Group Classes (10 kids max) with individualized attention to students’ needs and interests
- Highly skilled instructors with backgrounds in Somatics, the Arts and Education, trained in our Salamander Arts Pedagogy highlighting Embodiment/Mindfulness, Creativity & Community
- A cozy environment for kids to rest, connect, and create
- Fun activities that support emotional, physical, mental, and social wellbeing & development
- Collaborative projects that foster community across age and background
- Leadership opportunities for kids of all ages and abilities
- Support for developmental and behavioral goals
- Weekly Emails with Photos & Updates
- Step-by-step instructions for Arts Based & Embodied Mindfulness Activities you can do at home
- A final show and gathering to celebrate your young artists
- School Pickup from Lea & Penn Alexander
- Healthy Snacks
- Homework Assistance during snack & sketchbook time
- COVID safe practices