*flexibly intended for children ages 7–10
with Kenni Field, Ceramic Artist, Educator
& Eliana Saxe-Smith, Ceramic Artist, Educator
Thursdays, September 7- December 21
*No class Nov 23
“The instructors really support independence and creativity while also providing guidance for more complicated projects. It was the highlight of my kids’ week. The instructors are really gifted at being kind, supportive, and maintaining a safe environment.” — Mom of Ezra and Amaris, ages 7 & 10
The Craft of Clay explores traditional and novel techniques as well as the process of clay work, from design and prep to recycling and firing. We’ll delve into models, molds, and various methods of hand building that can bring each child’s creative ideas to fruition. We’ll also learn about the natural properties and geological origins of clay, bridging art and science through creative experimentation. Following each students’ interests, we’ll create all kinds of clay wonders, such as landscapes creatures, mini furniture, and claymation movies!
Meet your Teachers!
Eliana is a ceramicist and teacher. She graduated from Warren Wilson in 2022 with a BA in expressive arts therapy. She believes in the healing potential of creative self-expression and loves sharing the joy of art making with students. She loves to integrate her work as an educator with the arts, and guide students in creative multimedia exploration. When she isn’t teaching, Eliana fulfills her own artistic passions through pottery making.
Kenni is a ceramicist, an avid explorer, and childcare worker. They care deeply about community well-being, and utilizing creative expression as a tool for collective healing. They are a former cofounder of the 2.0 Art Collective, and have fa or BIPOC femme and GNC folks throughout Philadelphia. They are committed to principles of anti-racism, anti-authoritarianism, anti-ableism and trauma-informed care within their community work.
- Small Group Classes (10 kids max) with individualized attention to students’ needs and interests
- Highly skilled instructors with backgrounds in Somatics, the Arts and Education, trained in our Salamander Arts Pedagogy highlighting Embodiment/Mindfulness, Creativity & Community
- A cozy environment for kids to rest, connect, and create
- Fun activities that support emotional, physical, mental, and social wellbeing & development
- Collaborative projects that foster community across age and background
- Leadership opportunities for kids of all ages and abilities
- Support for developmental and behavioral goals
- Weekly Emails with Photos & Updates
- Step-by-step instructions for Arts Based & Embodied Mindfulness Activities you can do at home
- A final show and gathering to celebrate your young artists
- School Pickup from Lea & Penn Alexander
- Healthy Snacks
- Homework Assistance during snack & sketchbook time